Friday, July 15, 2011

Il Bisonte- Printmaking dream

"Love the art, make room for it. Dont waste money on posters. Buy true art that has been created." Simone, the great great grandson of the schools founder told me as we walked out of the small gallery library. He had just finished explaining to my roommate Taylor and I the history of Il Bisonte, one of the most famous etching schools in Florence. When the school opened in 1959 it was a relief effort of World War II. The school was immediately creditable and experienced because of the famous artists who came to print their work in the same printing presses that are present in the school today. Ardengo Soffici, Carlo CarrĂ , Alberto Magnelli where a few of the names that where associated with the Futurism movement in the school. 

Walking into the entrance of the school lovely, to the right are the old printing presses put on display for guests to marvel. Hung on the wall is a print of a face, signed at the bottom is a signature anyone would recognize. Pablo Picasso. 

This lithography print is the only print Picasso made in Italy. It was truly amazing to see. Past the entrance into the courtyard is the studio where current students were working. The natural light in this studio was very inviting. An italian man gladly showed us around the entire studio. It was filled with printing presses, some from the 1800's. There were beautiful prints on the walls, and tiny rooms filled with ink, chemicals and tools. It was a printmakers dream. One of the rooms specifically for Intaglio was an old stable,  horse name plates hung on the walls. 

I couldn't believe I was here. This place was so peaceful and enchanting. After he finished explaining the studio and prints hung on the walls, we left the studio, turned down the tiny cobble stone street to find the schools gallery. There is where we met Simone, who graciously explained to us the history of the school. And the importance of keeping the traditional methods of printmaking alive. He spoke with sincerity in his voice, as we sat in the library filled with books and framed prints made my famous italian artists who have studied in the years past. 
Listening to these artists speak of a process they loved so much was endearing and encouraging. I felt so lucky to stumble onto this opportunity to learn about their beloved school and history. Their wisdom about art and creating is something I will constantly refer too in the future. I have never been more inspired than I was today. Thank you Italy for showing me these great things.


Piacere, Il Bisonte.



No comments:

Post a Comment